Thursday, March 6, 2014

7 Weeks and Heartbeat!

This is my 7th week of pregnancy. My nausea has reached an all-time high so far and nearly every second of the day I'm "on the verge" which is my least favorite symptom to deal with. I never had too much nausea with Evelyn, but I did feel sick by the scents of many things and had to keep my head out of a window most of the time to deal with it. This time around I'm even sick by watching cooking programs or fast food commercials haha. I've found that eating frequently (every hour or so), drinking ginger/cardamom/cinnamon tea, and eating mints, sour foods (pickles or banana peppers :P) and Saltines really helps, as best as they all can anyway. It will get better with time but for now I'll take it as a sign that baby is well.


Compared to my 7th week with Evelyn I am sticking out quite a bit more this time around. I have just one more week until my first ultrasound and my weigh-in to truly know how things have progressed in the last few weeks.

Yesterday though, at 7 weeks and 1 day I tried my home doppler for the 5th time or so and to my surprise I actually found baby! Now, I've used this doppler for the past 2 weeks to get familiar with my own heartbeat, how the machine works, what my arteries and bladder sound like, and to know the difference between uterine sounds and stomach/digestive sounds. It doesn't always match up right away to whatever beat it's on, unless you press down and hold it in one spot it will need a few seconds to get it right. So when I found this small "wooshing pocket" in the center of my belly, low down by my pelvis, I was confused at first!

My own heartbeat is pretty loud and baby is only the size of an average blueberry at this time (imagine, if baby is a blueberry, how incredibly tiny baby's heart is right now). Underneath my heartbeat and within the wooshing (which I assume could be the amniotic sac?) there is a very quick but faint "wom wom wom wom". If you watch the numbers, my heartbeat goes down to 100 BMP and below on the reader and the little heart in the upper left will flash slow and steady. You can also hear it louder than everything else at times on top of the other sounds (wom... wom... wom... wom...). When baby is being detected, that little heart flashes very fast and the number goes up to 130~145+ BPM. All other numbers are me inadvertently dancing around baby haha. Keep in mind that ANY time I take a deep breath I almost always lose baby for a brief period, they're so tiny that I have to search for a very long time to get just the right angle or else I'll miss it completely!

This was taken today at 7 weeks and 2 days. Check it out, it's pretty awesome!




1 comment:

  1. I loved loved loved my doppler :) Something I don't regret buying at all :) Can't wait to see how your appointment goes!

    ReplyDelete