Thursday, July 17, 2014

My New Monitor

I met with my dietitian this morning and had a lengthy chat about what we need to do to keep my blood sugar in check. My diet is pretty much unlimited meats/proteins, cheeses and non-starchy veggies, and I have to count my carbohydrates for each meal to make sure I'm having not too much and not too little as well as have limited fruits and milk. That's pretty much what I've been following this week but now I have a set meal plan specifically for my diet needs so that will help a lot. It's not too bad though. I can have up to 15 grams of carbs for breakfast, 45 grams for lunch, and 60 grams for dinner, with 3 snacks that each have 15 grams. Oh, and I'm allowed to splurge on a small piece of cake at my baby shower haha.

While we were going over everything we got on the subject of taking my blood to check my sugars (which I have to do 4 times a day, plus 3 extra times a week right after bedtime snack) and because I ate breakfast an hour before meeting with the dietitian I got to demonstrate how to use the monitor. This morning's reading was 115 mg/dL. Just now I took my post-lunch reading and it was up to 144 mg/dL. The limit they want me at is <120 mg/dL after one hour.


So... It's high. But with trial and error we can hopefully get my sugars worked out so that I don't need insulin! I also have to check my ketones every morning for a while. Sounds fun hehe.

It was a bit of a relief, though, when she explained to me that I didn't cause the diabetes from eating poorly. My body was already reacting this way and I may have been craving more sweets because of that. A little less stress from guilt is nice! I meet with her again next Thursday to go over more information that I need and from then on I will be emailing her photos of my testing log every Tuesday.

It won't be too long before I can go back to eating the foods that I love, but I just might continue follow a healthier diet after Emily is born anyway because it is best for her and me :).

No comments:

Post a Comment